London bus driver dies after assault on bridge

Family handout Sergei Krajev, who has a moustache, wearing a blue shirt and looking into the cameraFamily handout
Sergei Krajev was described by his family as a "wonderful husband, father, and grandfather"

A London bus driver, described by his family as a "wonderful husband, father, and grandfather", has died after he was attacked on Battersea Bridge.

Sergei Krajev was taken to hospital by air ambulance after being found critically injured on the south London crossing at about 00:30 BST on Monday.

The Metropolitan Police said the 64-year-old died on Tuesday and a murder investigation had been launched.

Gary Jones, 32, of Hospital Bridge Road, Twickenham, has previously appeared in court charged with causing grievous bodily harm and was remanded in custody.

Police previously said the assault had happened on a pavement outside the bus, which had been stationary at a stop.

His family also said in a statement that the Transport for London (TfL) driver was a "thoughtful, tactful and conscientious person who cared about those around him".

They added: "In his role as a bus driver, he was punctual, reliable and willing to help. He valued good relationships with his colleagues and approached his duties with care and dedication."

Det Insp Sarah Lee, who is leading the investigation, said: "We recognise the concern this will cause within the local community and among those who work across our public transport network.

"We want to reassure those impacted that our officers are working closely with Transport for London as part of our investigation."

She added the force was "continuing to appeal for anyone with information to come forward".

Jones was remanded in custody when he appeared at Wimbledon Magistrates' Court on Monday.

He is next due to appear at Kingston Crown Court on 15 June.

'Shocking incident'

Siwan Hayward, director of security, policing and enforcement at TfL, said: "We are devastated by the death of our colleague Sergei Krajev, and our thoughts are with his family, friends and colleagues at this incredibly difficult time.

"We continue to support the police with their investigation into this shocking incident, and anyone with any information should contact the Metropolitan Police or Crimestoppers anonymously."

"We take all forms of violence extremely seriously and remain committed to protecting our staff and customers across the network, taking the strongest possible action against anyone committing violence or abuse.

"We will not stand for any violence or aggression and will continue to do everything possible to protect everyone's right to go to work and travel without fear or intimidation."

Unite the union called for TfL to offer more training to bus drivers following the attack.

It explained that, currently, training on how to deal with violence is provided to London Underground staff but not to bus drivers.

Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said: "TfL needs to take immediate action to ensure the safety of all bus workers. No bus worker should be subjected to violence whilst carrying out their duties.

"TfL and the bus companies must now swiftly introduce training for drivers on how to respond and deal with violent confrontations."

TfL responded: "All bus drivers receive training on conflict awareness and avoidance. This was first included in a TfL-led two-day bus driver training course which was delivered to all bus drivers and has since been incorporated into all operator induction training.

"Workplace violence and abuse prevention training is a requirement in all of TfL's contracts with bus operators."

Listen to the best of BBC Radio London on Sounds and follow BBC London on Facebook, X and Instagram. Send your story ideas to hello.bbclondon@bbc.co.uk

Related internet links